Thursday, June 9, 2011

More excited and nervous than how I would've felt if I saw Brad Pitt....

...is how I felt when I waited in Roy Thomson Hall to see Martha Stewart.


On Monday June 6th, Martha Stewart tweeted about the longest street in the world, at 1,896 km, THE Yonge street. Why? Because she was here in our town!

My hubby Nick surprised me with tickets to see Martha Stewart, the final speaker of 2011 Unique Lives & Experiences lecture series. Unique Lives & Experiences is an annual lecture series for women (but men are also welcome) creating an atmosphere to learn and be motivate from the speaker's personal experiences, followed by Q&A period for more personal interaction.


As I anxiously waited with my Ice Coffee (only $1 from McDonalds!!!-although I couldn't see any ice in that cup), this thought occurred to me.. "Never have I felt this excited and nervous about seeing anyone... including all my concert experiences". Let me tell you, I had a huge rush during the entire hour and a half she was on that stage.

She started off the fun lecture with her childhood stories, how she was the oldest daughter of 6 children and learned to garden with her father and cook and sew with her mother since she was very young. She studied history of Architecture and Economics, while she modelled to pay for her tuition. (She was indeed very tall, and for a lady who's turning 70 this year, she looked GREAT!) She got married at a young age, and worked as a stockbroker for a few years. While she was working, she was commissioned by a friend to cater and plan a wedding and she did that, and she did really well. Her reputation grew and she did more catering and taught her daughter's friends how to cook and bake. She then left the Wall Street and focused on her passion, which led to her current craft empire with over 90 publications.




Her entire talk was very interesting and entertaining, but here's a few that stuck to my mind.. in a nutshell.

*She published her first book when she was 40. It's never too late to start/change!
*5 months in prison was a horrible horrible experience, but she sewed, wrote, read, and did not stop working.
*the only regret she has in life is not having more than 1 child (she has one daughter Alexis Stewart)
*Her first horses and a set of her first vintage white fences were from Brantford Ontario!
*She always sat in front in classrooms because she believed (and still believes) that you learn more.
*She's friends with Bill Clinton and is neighbors with Ralph Lauren.
*Her property has 7 houses which includes her daughter's house and houses for her animals.
*She stenciled the floor of her first house in the Turkey Hill, Connecticut home.


Okay, so I hope that I didn't freak you out by sounding like I was stalking Martha Stewart. She was a wonderful speaker with a great humour, and I came out feeling inspired and motivated. I also realized that I am not that crazy wanting to make everything that I like instead of buying things premade, which isn't always the "easy way" of doing things.

Enjoying Stampin' Tom Collins at Luma after the show


I've always loved Martha Stewart, but I think I love her even more after seeing her on Monday...




No comments:

Post a Comment