Monday, March 14, 2011

St Jacobs Antique Market




This past weekend, Nick and I went for a short visit to Market Road Antique at St. Jacobs Market. I'm not an expert and I don't go to any auctions (well, not yet at least!), but I love going through all the nicknacks people are selling. These things always take me to my fantasy "lalaland" where I picture myself using these things during their time period. It's almost like going to a museum. It's also really fun to look at accessories and sometimes, I find a lot of good pieces for LBT supplies.

I didn't have enough time to thoroughly go through everything (because I usually like to look at everything twice...), but I spotted some really cool things that people were selling. Actually, they were AMAZING things that if I could find a GOOD reason to buy, I probably would have brought them home!!

Here are some of the lovely items that Nick helped me capture on his camera:

Hello tea cups!! There were so many of these bone china tea sets! Did you know... that majority of Bone china is still made with 30% natural bone ash, which is powdery ash left from burning of bones, but apparently, the traditional formulation uses 50% cattle bones. So for those of you who's been wondering why some fine bone china tea cup/saucer set costs so much, it's because the "raw" materials are expensive and their production is labour intensive. But they're chip resistant, which means they will last "forever" :)

I don't own any fine bone china made in England tea sets (yet), but if you're interested in collecting them, antique markets would be a good place to start! I've resisted many many times already but if I come across something in the future that I can't let go of, I will probably get them and collect them from antique markets. And blog about it... with my pinky UP!

Next item that was so amazing. Collapsable wooden basket/container. When it's collapsed it's a wooden rectangle. When you pull out from each side, there are 2 compartments on each side that opens up. It had a handle, for easy mobility! It kinda reminded me of a large wooden (OLD) version of Caboodles... if I had this in my room, I would use it to store my sewing supplies.


Then there was this wooden drawer that was... massive. Countless drawers and space for labels... a girl's (okay, mine only) dream come true. haha. It was over $5000, so I looked and touched only. If I had that in my room, I would use the top few drawers to store some of my jewelry, and then the rest would be used for all the fabric for LBT supplies I have accumulated. Organized in colours and by type. Oh how amazing would it be...


We saw some really interesting dolls (to say the least) that were out for sale... but I felt like their eyes were following me around, so I stopped looking at them.

It was a fun trip, and I would definitely go back to look at all the things I missed, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment