Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Cake Show 2011 wrap up


It was held at the Artscape Wynchwood Barns in Toronto, a beautiful venue, despite the wet weather throughout the show day. I need to repeat how beautiful it was... it gave an urban feel with high ceiling... with red brick walls and the other two walls (also the two entrances) covered in glass, allowing all the light to shine in. It was my first time at the venue, but I'm planning to go back when it's not raining... there's a little park beside it and I saw a few garden squares along the sides of the building.

There were so many interesting cakes displayed at the show. Closest to the entrance was the display section for Design challenge. This year's theme was "Four Seasons". Here are some cakes that were memorable to me... I took these pictures when I was setting up the cake before the show started, so I apologize for not having all the names of the designers attached to the cakes. When I do figure all the names out, I will update the info in the future.


This cake had each of the four seasons represented on each four sides of the cake. Unlike some cakes that looked "forced" to fit all the seasons into one cake, this one fit all four seasons with a well balanced design. The fondant work was really clean too! Cake by Cakes by Beatriz


One of the winners in the Design challenge... this cake had so much detail everywhere! Such a clean finish...


Simple, but unique! Awesome detail work on the acorns! Cake by I Will Not Eat Oysters


The next section displayed cakes by students/alumni of Bonnie Gordon College of Confectionary Arts.

Anything orange/dark coral has been catching my eyes recently... this cake was simple, but very pleasant to look at. Cakes by We Bake in Heels.



What made me do a double take on this cake was the blue and white details. They looked like seed beads and hand embroidery on a shirt!


I feel like this cake should come with a matching card or something. The bird was cut out from the blue fondant layer to show a clean white fondant layer inside. so adorable!


The winner of the Cake Star Face Off... an adorable "fall" inspired cake with chipmunks!!!!


I also attended some seminars that were offered during the cake show. They were one hour informal talks by Catherine Lash from The Wedding Co on attending wedding shows, Debbie Arnold from D.A. Consulting on marketing, and Anna Janes from CocoMira Confections on taking the next step in growing your business.

I had so much fun at the cake show, looking and re-looking at some awesome cakes, meeting cake designers, and came back home all inspired. Fully "caked".

To check out some of the other cake photos that I took from Cake Show 2011, look here



No comments:

Post a Comment